MSc – Nursing
MSc Nursing is a two-year postgraduate programme, conducted in affiliation to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, recognised by Indian Nursing Council, Karnataka Nursing Council, and approved by Government of Karnataka. M.Sc. Nursing program offers following specializations:
The aim of this Postgraduate programme in nursing is to prepare graduates to assume responsibilities as nurse specialists, consultants, educators, administrators in a wide array of professional fields.
Upon completion of the two-years-M.Sc. Nursing programme, the graduates will be able to:
- Utilize / apply the concepts, theories and principles of nursing sciences
- Demonstrate advance competence in practice of nursing
- Participate as a nurse specialist
- Demonstrate skills in communication and interpersonal relationship
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and function effectively as a nurse educator and manager
- Demonstrate skills in conducting nursing research, interpreting and utilizing the findings from health related research
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and effect change in nursing practice and in the health care delivery system
- Establish collaborative relationship with members of their disciplines
- Demonstrate interest in continued learning for personal and professional advancement
The following areas of specialisation are available:
- Medical Surgical Nursing- is a nursing speciality area concerned with the care of adult patients.
- Community Health Nursing- is a field of nursing that is a blend of primary healthcare and nursing practices with public health nursing. The philosophy of care is based on the belief that care be directed to individuals, families and groups that contribute to the healthcare of the population as a whole.
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology- is a medical speciality dealing with women’s health during pregnancy, labour, puerperium, and also deals with problems of the female reproductive system.
- Child Health Nursing- is a science of childcare, and scientific treatment during childhood. This branch of medical science deals with care of children from birth to adolescence.
- Mental Health Nursing –is a speciality of nursing that cares for people of all ages, with mental illnesses or mental distress. Nurses in this area receive more training in psychological therapies, building a therapeutic alliance, dealing with challenging behaviour, etc
Rich, hands-on clinical experience is facilitated, as per the requirements of the curriculum in some of the leading hospitals in Bangalore, such as:
- P. D. Hinduja Sindhi Hospital
- Sita Batheja Speciality Hospital
- Kidwai Institute of Oncology
- Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health
- Vani Vilas Hospital
- Spandana Institute of Mental Health
- BBMP Maternity Centre
- Urban and Rural Community Health Centres